BRONCHITOL® (mannitol) inhalation powderdosing and administration information1
- An inhaled short-acting bronchodilator should be administered 5–15 minutes before every dose of BRONCHITOL
- The recommended dosage of BRONCHITOL is 400 mg twice a day
- This requires inhalation of the contents of 10 capsules via the inhaler, twice a day
- BRONCHITOL should be taken once in the morning and once in the evening
- The later dose should be taken at least 2–3 hours before bedtime
- The inhaler should be discarded and replaced after 7 days of use
- If the inhaler needs to be washed, allow it to thoroughly air dry before next use
BRONCHITOL is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity to mannitol or to any of the capsule components. BRONCHITOL is contraindicated in patients who fail to pass the BRONCHITOL Tolerance Test (BTT).
BRONCHITOL can cause bronchospasm, which can be severe in susceptible patients. Because of the risk of bronchospasm, prior to prescribing BRONCHITOL, patients must pass the BRONCHITOL Tolerance Test (BTT). The BTT must be administered under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner who can treat severe bronchospasm.
Patients who pass the BRONCHITOL tolerance test (BTT) may experience bronchospasm with add-on maintenance therapy with BRONCHITOL. Patients should premedicate with an inhaled short-acting bronchodilator prior to each administration of BRONCHITOL. If bronchospasm occurs, immediately discontinue BRONCHITOL and treat bronchospasm with an inhaled short-acting bronchodilator.
Hemoptysis can occur with BRONCHITOL use. Monitor patients with history of episodes of hemoptysis. If hemoptysis occurs, discontinue use of BRONCHITOL.
Most common adverse reactions (≥3%) include cough, hemoptysis, oropharyngeal pain, vomiting, bacteria sputum identified, pyrexia, and arthralgia.
BRONCHITOL® (mannitol) inhalation powder is a sugar alcohol indicated as add-on maintenance therapy to improve pulmonary function in adult patients 18 years of age and older with cystic fibrosis. Use BRONCHITOL only in adults who have passed the BRONCHITOL Tolerance Test.
Reference: 1. BRONCHITOL® (mannitol) inhalation powder Prescribing Information. 2020.